Sunday, February 19, 2012

Adventures in Cooking

This weekend I got a wild idea to try cooking again. I was really tired of eating out and my cooking skills needed some practice, so I grabbed a couple of recipes and tried them:

Attempt 1: Burrito Pie ( http://allrecipes.com/recipe/burrito-pie/detail.aspx ) my sister made this recipe before and my little brothers loved it so I thought it would be a good one to try. Here's the final picture:

It actually turned out really well. Today, there's only one piece left so my family enjoyed it. Next time I'll add more tortillas between the layers (was supposed to use 12, only used 6-oops), drain the ground beef so it isn't so soupy, and wait for it to cool so it actually forms into the layers it's supposed to and not just a giant bowl of mexican mush. Weirdly enough, this tasted better the next day after it was reheated lol.












Attempt 2: Crustless Spinach Quiche ( http://allrecipes.com/recipe/crustless-spinach-quiche/detail.aspx )



I love spinach and I love quiche, so this was pretty much an overall win. I made it the night before (with the burrito pie) and put it in the fridge for breakfast the next morning. It had onions, cheese, eggs, and spinach in it and it was delicious. Next time I'll just make more of it and put it in a smaller pan so it's a little deeper.












Attempt 3: Pot Roast from the recipe genious, my boyfriend. He makes the best pot roast hands down. I didn't even like pot roast until he made it for me. 








This started out as a bit of a struggle, because he told me to get a 4lb bone in roast (they didn't have anything that was boneless and bigger than 2 lbs and Im too much of a cooking novice to combine 2 or something) The roast was much bigger than my crock pot, so I had to slice the bone out of it, that was interesting, LOL.









 I finally got the roast in and seasoned it and all that fun stuff. (I called my boyfriend every 5 mins and sent him pictures to make sure it looked right )
 After 9 very long hours, it's finally done and smells delicious. (The boyfriend has also assured me it's supposed to look like this at the end)

The verdict: It was delicious. It was missing the gravy/mashed potatoes that usually accompanies it, but it wasn't too bad for my first attempt at pot roast :)

And it hasn't killed anyone yet... yay!

1 comment:

  1. OK, here is a tip for you, ask me...not the "boy friend" LOL! Mother knows best, just don't tell him so...Our secret.

    ReplyDelete