Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Fall Semester

Classes started up once again last week and as I count my credit hours after each semester I am convinced I will be in school for the rest of my life. I don't take a full course load during busy season at work because I'd just go batty and be uber stressed out and grumpy and nobody needs or wants to see that.

I get to pretty much only take classes relevant to my degree now, as I got most of the basic core requirements out of the way. So this semester I am taking a class on Business Law. I was super excited for this class because business legal issues are always interesting... until I saw the syllabus for it. The professor was kind enough to require the newest edition of a Business Law textbook, which sells USED at about $200. I know in the grand scheme of textbook prices that $200 isn't bad, but I have become an expert on finding super cheap textbooks every year. I searched every textbook outlet I knew: amazon, ebay, textbooks.com, etc and managed to find the cheapest copy at $195 with shipping. My college fund and I both cried a little inside.

After receiving my overpriced textbook that will be outdated in 2 years (no, I'm not bitter), I opened up to the case assignment I was supposed to review and analyze. If you've never read a case briefing, you may not understand why this was frustrating. The case notes were approximately 3 pages and I had to reread it 4 times to finally understand what the heck the case was actually about. The first time I figured my mind had wandered and forced myself to focus on it. The second time I realized that I didn't understand what half of the words meant and was royally screwed. There was so much law jargon in it that I had to flip to the glossary for every 4th word. After about an hour and a half, I finally had a semi intelligent analysis of the case problem that should have taken 20 minutes.



The good news is if I sell my textbook immediately after this semester is done, I can probably get a good portion of my money back. The bad news is my childhood dream of becoming a lawyer has officially been shot.

2 comments:

  1. You never really did want to be a lawyer anyways did you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I actually did for a long time :) If I were to become one, I think 40 hours a week would be spent with my nose in a legal dictionary trying to understand everything hehe.

    ReplyDelete